Mark Zuckerberg announced today on Facebook that WhatsApp has now 1 billion monthly active users (MAU), after WhatsApp founder Jan Koum originally wanted to announce at the DLD conference in Munich the reach of this goal.
WhatsApp is now the largest mobile messenger network by numbers and now in search of a viable business model, as Zuckerberg and Koum mentioned.
Companies will be able to offer services through the messenger and get more access to the network.
However, WhatsApp and Facebook did not go into detail how and when exactly these features will be rolled out. They will be available within this year, Jan Koum declared (in a fancy John Deere shirt).
- One billion, WhatsApp Blog (Feb 2016)
- 5 Ways of Boosting your Business with WhatsApp Messenger, orat.io Blog (Jan 2016)
- WhatsApp Is Nearing a Billion Users—Now It’s Time to Find the Money, WIRED (Jan 2016)
- What's up WhatsApp - A summary of the $ 19 bn acquisition, DLD Conference (Feb 2014)
- WhatsApp is now free of charge, orat.io Blog (Jan 2016)
- WhatsApp Beta Screenshots show unreleased Facebook Sharing Feature, orat.io Blog (Jan 2016)